Questions Responded - Small Business Expert
As a Small Business Expert, we have studied many a small and big companies, how they became successful or why they failed. In addition we have consulted with good number of companies to help them solve key business issues. Our principles on the growth of business strategy are based on that research and experience. While we are not experts in any one field, we are experts in the principles of business growth strategy. And our principles can be applied to any business whether B2C or B2B. In general, we help your company find a focus, own a word in the consumer's mind, dominate a market through your team and become very successful.
Here-below we make a summary as to how do we approach the assignment as Small Business Expert. Please take a printout and read it thoroughly before you invite us for detailed discussions.
How do you understand the assignment?
- At the outset we briefly understand your organization in the first session when we meet promoter[s].
- Based upon our understanding, we again would meet the promoters and HODs to draw out “our role” of assignment. This is an exhaustive, scientific and research based exercise.
- The assignment drawing session is now charged [FOR DETAILS OF CHARGES PLEASE COMMUNICATE WITH US].
- These sessions will brief us about each department, with weaknesses and strengths in particular.
- We strive to complete these sessions in two or three days, depending upon the availability of time suitable to both and number of persons to be met.
- Within seven working days we submit a “broader outline” of our scope about the assignment alongside your scope.
- On acceptance of the broader outline, by you, we then move forward to provide detailed commercial terms.
How do you conduct the assignment?
- Our consulting service consists of strategy sessions where we work with your top management to hammer out business solutions for your company. Then after we join hands to look at all the aspects of your business be it manpower, branding, market penetration, distribution, etc.
- Our shortest and longest project period has been two years to seven years, respectively, depending upon the assignment, which gets drawn. The reason we don't have long-term consulting project is that we feel our best work is done at the conceptual level of creating the strategy, not at the working level of implementing that strategy. (You are undoubtedly better than we are at implementation.)
- Once the focus is designed, you are on path to succeed. Secondly, we want to ‘move on’ making you self-sufficient. In the process we ensure that skills get transferred and dependence upon is reduced. Thirdly we are consultants and not employees.
- There is an advantage to working jointly during the strategy session. Unlike some consultants, who take your information and work on a solution by themselves, we work with you to come up with the answers as a group. So at the end of the day everyone is on board with one strategy for the future of your company. We explore possibilities together and reach the business solution jointly making everyone on the team part of the effort.
- The meeting sessions are designed to provide an overall direction for a company, product or a brand. It is the time to get everything on the table, in order to learn, discuss, analyze and formulate a future focus. We spend time learning about your company by asking specific questions designed to isolate the issues involved.
- Our philosophy is simple: The answer is in the problem. Then we work on outlining the answers to your strategic problems.
- Once we take up the assignment, we become d’facto CEO. However we do not involve ourselves on routine or day-to-day affairs of your company. Ensuring timely implementation of our recommendations through your team will be your responsibility.
What types of issues normally get addressed?
- How can we expand our business, and still stay focused?
- What should we do about the Internet?
- Do we have too many brands or too few?
- Do we need to change a brand name?
- Do we need to launch another brand?
- What word or words do we own in the consumer's mind?
- What word do we want to own?
- Who is the competition and what can we do about them?
- How can we generate publicity?
- What should our brand's advertising strategy be?
- Pricing, packaging, promotion, vision, manpower etc. issues?
- Distribution issues?
- Or any other issue that might arise during our discussions which is related to business growth.
What else is included in the project?
- We train and motivate your HOD team, teach certain very specific skills to them. The HODs thenafter duplicate the same amongst its team members. In addition we are available to discuss any questions you still might have, in the next session. Quite frequently we are asked to comment on advertising or publicity campaigns or new names or new projects, etc.
- We provide few sessions during the assignment, with your entire team to understand them and put them ‘correction on course’ mode so that they to are focused. We help you evaluate them very regularly such that you know who are real ‘performers’ and who are ‘passengers.’ We also provide gifts in kind to performance enhancers.
- However before the assignment begins the HODs will have to undergo a programme on Goal Setting and Goal Achieving called “My Most Successful Year”. All HODs have to compulsorily attend this programme inspite of any critical work, personal or professional.
Where the meeting should be held?
Where the meeting takes place is up to you. Usually we have it at your office.
Who should attend?
All the key decision makers should participate in the strategy sessions.
Why so many Business Owners now use A Business Expert?
As a Small Business Expert we provide you with knowledge to succeed in business, we only use proven time tested methods. And act as a sounding board to you and provide useful guidance for getting the best from difficult situations.
Any successful business owner, sports person or VIP will have an expert guide or coach. It is essential if you want to get to a higher level of performance. Things are changing so rapidly now, how can you run a business and expect to keep up with the very latest business solutions that we specialise in.
An expert can see the problems from the outside without being short-sighted by old bad habits the company has been gathering over the years. The CEO needs someone to encourage, pushing him, to congratulate him, to support him and keep him focused on the planned goals and made accountable for the outcomes. It can be a lonely job being the boss without a trusted sounding board.
Small Business Expert bridges any gap between where you and your business or career is today and where you would like to be. Customised business coaching works faster, is more effective, and is more convenient than standard management seminars and work books. Business coaching is not an extravagance but a must to get fast effective business solutions.
We may work with business owners, executives, and people at every level in the company to:
- Set and achieve higher quality goals
- Ensure people are accountable and take responsibility of their actions
- Accelerate development in business processes, skills, knowledge, and relationships
- Eliminate rather than tolerate the negatives in their life
- Encouraging you to focus on your key priorities
- Providing you with an impartial sounding board
- Supporting you in making better decisions
- Giving you greater confidence
- Helping you achieve new levels of job satisfaction and motivation
What type of relationship is developed between us?
The consultancy evolves a relationship between us which is collaborative where
- Responsibility is shared with the client;
- Skills are transferred to the client and
- Dependence on us is gradually reduced.
Since we become d’facto CEO of your organization, all major strategic decisions are taken with each other’s compliance.
What is your primary role?
We help you determine your business goals in such a way that they have every chance of being achieved. Besides we help you stay focused in working towards those goals.
Honestly our role is a supportive one, helping you in the processes involved in working towards achieving your business goals.
What you do not do?
We do not explore past events or issues, since we believe that we cannot change the past. We have no remedial intent.
In the past we have had experiences with the consultants wherein consultants are more like salaried employees who share no responsibility for the outcome?
Yes, you are very correct. There are many consultancy organizations and individuals who become consultants by default. In most of the cases people who have one success story behind them become ‘consultants’. Such ‘consultants’ have no emotional attachment with the product or organization. They are like medico-quacks – who have no authority over the subject.
We strongly recommend following strategy while thinking hiring the services of business growth consultant:
- Check the professional credentials and ensure many a success stories to support.
- Check his understanding about the subject.
- Check the client list and if you are unsure still, refer to the clients – a completed assignment and an ongoing assignment.
- See how much and what he studies related to the subject.
How do you justify your quoted fees?
‘Real consultant’ does not work on man-hour fees basis. Good consultants charge by “quality of the assignment to be completed within a specified period.” They spend time with you and as much outside of you but for you. So whenever you get to know their fees do not calculate their per day or per month cost. Their working will have larger than time effect on the organization.
Retainership should be focused towards results within a fixed period. Incase someone or consultancy firm seeks assignment on ongoing basis then they are looking for an ‘independent employment’ and ‘no results.’
As regards our charges and time that we shall devote, I cannot quote you any of both without conducting a study to understand the assignment.
What more do we get out of our association?
- You become SPECIFIC outcome-focused.
- Our strategies are all adaptable to your organizational needs and your way of working.
- We operate outside a blame/reward structure or a success/failure pattern.
- We encourage you and your team rather than telling what to do or how to do it. We offer many skills and strategies. Then after we encourage you to experiment with them and monitor what works for you/team. This way we develop your skills, confidence and build your independence in managing your business successfully.
- We discipline the outstanding achievers and respect their resourcefulness so that they get far better results than they are expected to. Most of our client CEOs has surprised themselves with their own resourcefulness.
In addition, we
- Keep you to your own agenda.
- Work in curiosity frame.
- Chunk down larger, longer-term goals into smaller. Shorter-term achievable steps.
- Increase your awareness of what is happening here-and-now with ‘intelligence flow’ rather than ‘information flow.’
- Make you believe that change can be cumulative.
- Make you believe that everyone can engage in lifelong, learning, provided they want to.
- Work with processes and structure keeping ‘end in mind’ and not the content.
What if the desired ‘Results’ are not achieved?
Very comfortably we can both pass the buck on each other’s failure. But this happens only if we do not correct the course on-way. We discuss the progress periodically and undertake corrective measures. It is always our and yours endeavor to achieve the best. And we are involved as much or sometimes more to achieve what we defined at the beginning.
Still the results do not come! In that case please appreciate that you have learnt so much that results could be a matter of ‘some more time’. And you would definitely achieve the RESULT, although we may not be there as your associate.
And positive RESULTS only happen, since our intentions are POSITIVE!
What has been your experience so far?
Honestly, we have learned that: We cannot create Successful People or Businesses; We can only take successful people or businesses and help them, become more successful.